We scored some delicious looking beef short ribs this weekend at the farmers market, and cooked them up Asian style. We adapted this recipe from a Lucky Peach book, and used our Ancient Chinese Secret spice blend to pack as much flavour in there as we could. Braised for only 2 hours, this meat will just fall off the bone – impressing even the pickiest of eaters.
- 1 Asian Pear, chopped
- 1 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Ancient Chinese Secret spice blend
- 1 head garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 knob of Ginger, peeled
- 1 bunch scallions, whole
- 4 lbs bone in short ribs
- 2 medium carrots, cut in chunks
- 1/2 lb baby potatoes, halved if necessary
- Fresh black pepper
- Generous splash sesame oil
- Serve with short grain rice
- Combine the pear, mirin, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and scallions in a large dutch oven.
- Now cosy the ribs, meat side down, in the pot and add enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Partially cover pot and allow to cook for two hours, occasionally flipping the ribs.
- After about 2 hours, add the carrots and potatoes to the pot and continue to gently simmer for another 20-25 minutes, until your vegetables are tender.
- Serve some meat, some vegetables and some sauce on each plate over a bed of rice.