Salted Caramel Apple Tarts
Experiment with your Salted Caramels and use them to accent your favourite desserts! Since caramel and apples are such great friends, we married them in this tasty apple tart.
For this recipe, we made 2 individual sized tarts (4″) since it was just Dave and I. The pie tart recipe is large enough for a 9″ tart pan. We used this pie tart recipe, found in one of our Cooks Illustrated books, their fool-proof pie dough is delicious as well.
- 9″ Pie Tart
- 4-5 tart apples such as granny smith (1-2 apple per individual sized tart)
- 1-2 bags of Big Cove Foods’ Salted Caramels
- Brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Start off by making your tart pastry. You can use your old faithful recipe that you may have been lucky enough to inherit from your great great grandmother or you can just buy it, we don’t judge here. You’ll want to have this tart partially cooked.
2. Peel and core apples, and slice thinly. I recommend using a mandolin if you have one so that all the apples are consistent in size and will cook evenly.
3. Layer apples in your tart shell. Chop the Salted Caramels up and place as little or as many as you want over top of the apples. For our individual tarts, I used 3 Salted Caramels per tart. Then sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar over the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, you want the apples to soften and the brown sugar to caramelize. Allow to cool just a couple minutes and serve with whip cream or ice cream.
#saltedcaramels #apples #dessert #caramelapple #caramel #pastry #baked