Beef Shanks love that low and slow, cook me in yummy ingredients and we can all live in harmony together, kind of love. We hear you loud and clear, give this a try.
- • Beef Shank
- • salt + pepper
- • 2 tbsp olive oil
- • 2 cups full bodied red wine
- • 2 twigs of thyme
- • 2 tbsp Big Cove Foods Espresso Nice spice blend
- • 1 onion, quartered
- • 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- • 8 oz Cremini mushrooms, ends trimmed
- • 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 4 cups water
- Pre heat oven to 300 F.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper on both sides.
- With a pan on medium high heat, add the 2 tbsp of olive oil and allow it to heat up. When nice and hot, add the shanks, careful not to over crowd the pan. Sear each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes each side.
- Remove the shanks to a plate and set them aside. In a now empty pan over medium heat, add the red wine to deglaze pan; followed by the garlic, thyme and Espresso Nice spice blend. Simmer on medium high heat for 5 minutes to lock in that flavour and reduce slightly.
- Nestle the beef shanks back into pan, add in the carrot, onion and mushrooms and snuggle them in there too. Top with 4 cups of water, or enough to just cover the top of the shanks and add the bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cover with tin foil and then place the lid on top.
- Place the covered pot in the oven and leave it alone for 3 hours.
- 3 hours later….
- Remove the shanks to a separate plate and set aside. With an emulsion blender, puree all those flavours together until you get a creamy consistency. Heat on the puree on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the shanks back to the pot and cover with the sauce.
- Great enjoyed over top of a creamy grits or mashed potatoes.