Right now is tomato season - the best time to have a BLT.
We took this classic sandwich and kicked it up a notch; heirloom tomatoes, beef bacon and an umami rich porcini-anchovy-caper mayo. The few extra steps pay off, this sandwich was ... Delicious!
The copious amounts of tomatoes right now have us stock piling always more than we can eat. So getting inspired on new ideas to use them up is always welcome. It is such a short season, so lets dig in. You know you'll be missing them come November!
Salt your tomatoes! It has blown our minds the difference it makes. We have said it before, and you will probably hear us say it again! Slice, salt, walk away for a bit.
All of these ingredients are pretty accessible through your local farmers or farmers markets. So shop local, you make the world of difference to these small businesses and in return, you get a pretty stellar product.
- 1 Garlic, grated on a microplane
- 2 Anchovies, rinsed and minced
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Big Cove Foods 'Porcini BBQ Genie' spice blend
- ½ cup Mayo
- Large heirloom tomatoes, sliced ½" thick
- Kosher salt
- Beef bacon
- Medium cheddar cheese
- Ciabatta buns
- Make the Porcini-Anchovy-Caper Mayo first as it benefits from being able to sit in the fridge for at least an hour to let all the flavours blend together. Mix together all the ingredients except for the mayo in a bowl. Using a spoon, make sure to mash up the anchovies well. Add the mayo and mix all together. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for at least 20 minute while you prepare everything else.
- Cook the beef bacon in a pan. I prefer to go low and slow as beef fat takes a bit more to render than pork fat. You want to make sure it is cooked well so it isn't too chewy. When you are done, don't dump that beef bacon fat! Use it to toast the bread. If it is too dry, you can add some butter.
- Assemble the sandwich. Put that Porcini-Anchovy-Caper Mayo on both sides because it's delicious!