Ancient Chinese Secret Eggplant and Tomatoes
Eggplants are thought to be tricky - but they're really just waiting to be loved. And right now there are plenty available at your farmers market calling your name.
When you want something quick and easy, a medium pan fry does just the trick to cook them enough to soften and create that flavourful brown edging you see. Combine that with a quick, sweet asian sauce using our Ancient Chinese Secret and some in season cherry tomatoes - you have a quick side dish or lunch.
- 5 baby eggplants
- kosher salt
- 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Big Cove Foods 'Ancient Chinese Secret' spice blend
- 2 tbsp water/stock
- Slice the eggplant in half for the smaller ones and in threes for any bigger ones. You don't want them to be too thick as the goal is to cook them quickly. Lay them in a single layer on a cutting board, cut side up and salt generously. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ancient Chinese secret spice blend and water (or stock).
- Heat a large pan on medium heat with 1 tbsp of the grapeseed oil. When the pan gets hot and the oil starts to shimmer, add the eggplant cut side down in a single layer. Allow to cook and brown up a bit, about 3-5 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining eggplant, using the extra oil as needed.
- In now empty pan, add the tomatoes until they start to make a mess in your pan, about 2 minutes. Add your eggplant back in and pour your sauce all over. Cook for a couple minutes just until you see most of the liquid evaporate and the vegetables get saucy.
- Arrange on a serving platter and top with white sesame seeds if you want to look impressive.