Black bean soup – the perfect pairing for our Taco Enhancer Number One Spicy 😉
- 1lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 4 oz bacon
- 2 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 celery, diced
- 2 carrot, diced
- 2 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Big Cove Foods: Taco Enhancer Number One spice blend
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice salt and pepper
- Optional garnish: sour cream and cilantro
- In a large pot, add your dried beans, water, bacon strips (best left whole to remove easier after), bay leaf and baking soda. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once beans are soft, remove from heat and set aside. Remove the bay leaf and bacon. Discard the bay leaf. Dice up the bacon and set aside. Do not strain liquid.
- In a large heavy bottom soup pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the celery, carrot and onions – cooking until softened. Add the Taco Enhancer Number One spice blend, garlic and chipotles. Cook for another couple minutes. Add the beans, and their liquid, chicken stock and bacon pieces.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, roughly blend the soup. You want to keep it on the chunkier side, so don’t blend too much – unless you prefer more of a puree, we won’t judge.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a dallop of sour cream and cilantro.
#taco #taconight #blackbeansoup #beansoup #blackbeans #tacobeans #tacosoup #spices #bigcovespices #bigcovefoods #customspice #customspices #customspiceblends