In my attempt to cut my toddlers diet of way too much pasta... I gave this a try! I figured that if I covered it in a delicious cheese sauce, he would love it and I would be sneaking in vegetables at the same time. Win frikken win.
So he may not have been fooled, but I LOVED it! So here we are. Cauliflower mac n cheese for adults, unless you have success in fooling your little ones. (If so, I want to hear about it!)
Our 'Maple Mustard Hamonizer' spice blend was a clear choice for this dish as it's a milder heat level. But if I were to make it just for us adults who like some heat, I would love to use the 'Egyptian summer' spice blend.
- 1-1/2 heads of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk or broth
- 2 cups sharp cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tbsp Big Cove Foods 'Maple Mustard Hamonizer' spice blend
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Add the cauliflower, lightly drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss. Roast for about 20-25 minutes, tossing occasionally, until you start to see them char up slightly.
- Meanwhile, make your cheese sauce. In a large pan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until it forms a paste, then allowing it to cook for at least 30-60 seconds. Add the milk or broth a little bit at a time while whisking in between to work out clumps. Season with the Maple Mustard spice blend and salt. Turn off the heat and add the shredded cheese and stir until melted through. Salt to taste. Keep warm until you're ready to mix with the cauliflower.
- Remove the cauliflower and transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheese sauce and carefully fold in. Enjoy!