Egyptian Summer Eggplant RigatoniTags: Egyptian Summer
Eggplant season lands around the same time where we start to want some comfort food! Coincidence? Maybe not. Pasta it is!
We love these large hearty noodles, so we kept the other elements just as large! The eggplant gets nicely braised as everything cooks in one pot! That's right, one pot pasta dinner. No boiling water and then the sauce, we would much rather save you time on dishes.
Egyptian Summer has some heat to it, so we started with the one tablespoon. But what is great about Egyptian Summer is that you can pile it on to add more heat. Its low salt content is all apart of the design to bring flavour you can adjust as you wish.
- 4 italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Big Cove Foods 'Egyptian Summer' spice blend
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz Rigatoni
- 1 cup large grated Pecorino Cheese, plus finer grated pecorino for serving
- Salt to taste
- In a large, deep pan with a fitted lid, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausages whole and break up into large pieces, about 1 inch, and cook until begins to brown a touch. Add the eggplant and toss to coat until the eggplant absorbs the oil in the pan.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and Egyptian Summer spice blend. If you want this pasta to pack a bit more heat, double the spice blend to 2 tablespoons.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Add in the pasta and stir to evenly combine. Cover and allow the noodles to cook fully, about 15-18 minutes, tossing it around occasionally.
- Remove lid and take off heat. Add the 1 cup pecorino cheese and mix it in.
- Have a little extra cheese on the side for serving.