We often recommend our Egyptian Summer spice blend for the BBQ, as it soaks up that charcoal smokiness so very well! But it’s also a fantastic spice for curry like meals, and takes on lentils like a champ! Try out this creamy bowl of nutritious lentils with sausage and spinach. 2 tbsp oil
- 2-3 tbsp Egyptian Summer spice blend
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallot, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- 4 sausages, casings removed
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a dutch oven or large pot, cook sausage on medium high, breaking up any larger bites, and heat until no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to add in later.
- In a now empty pan, add 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until softened. Add the Egyptian Summer spice blend until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the can of tomatoes and turmeric to the pot and mix together. Add the lentils, water and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes, or until lentils are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. Add the spinach and cooked sausage to the pot and heat through for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Set out a bowl of cilantro leaves for garnishing. yum!