Shiitake Pork Noodles
It’s no secret that ‘Ancient Chinese Secret’ spice blend makes for a wicked noodle dish.
Don’t let this blurry photo steer you away (it was taken with my loaner phone), the dish itself is quite delicious, easy and sure to please the whole family!
- 2 tbsp Big Cove Foods ‘Ancient Chinese Secret’ spice blend
- 1/4 cup mushroom flavoured soy sauce, or regular soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup stock
- 2 tsp sugar
- grapeseed oil
- 365 grams spaghetti noodles
- 1 lb ground pork
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- ginger, minced
- 3 bundles bok choy, greens torn into strips and whites sliced thin, keep separate
- 4 oz shiitake mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- Make the sauce first. In a small bowl stir together the Ancient Chinese Secret, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, stock and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to instructions. Be sure to strain it when it is al dente – a little on the firmer side. Do not rinse, set aside to be added later.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add about a tablespoon of grape seed oil until hot. Add the ground pork and cook until well browned, on the verge of burning. The key is to create a crispy pork. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Wipe out pan and put it back on heat.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add 2 tbsp grapeseed oil. Once hot, add the garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic, 30-60 seconds. Add the bok choy stems, mushrooms and peppers to the pan and cook until just beginning to soften and add the sauce. Allow the flavours to simmer for 2-3 minutes and then add back your pork and toss in the noodles until well mixed. Add the bok choy greens and toss around until they begin to wilt.
- Serve with a smile cause these noodles are the bomb.