This soup recipe is compliments of Dave's mom who makes fabulous soups!
In the dead of winter, who isn't looking for new ideas to use up cabbage!
This soup has everything; hardiness, heat, vegetables that are good for you and an excuse to eat something you can pile cheese on top of of!
She used a whopping 3 tablespoons here which is amazingly delicious, but if you want a little less heat or not sure where you stand in the spicy department - you can start with 2 tablespoons and you will still get great flavour.
Our spices are low in salt, so you will definitely want to taste and salt to your preference.
This makes a bit batch which is perfect for freezer portions!
- 1 small green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stocks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Big Cove Foods Egyptian Summer spice blend
- 6 cups bone broth, preferably homemade
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- salt to taste
- Optional: yogurt, sour cream, cheese
- In a large dutch oven, turn the heat to medium high and add the butter until melted. Add the onions, celery and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in the Egyptian Summer spice blend and enjoy the aroma.
- Add the cabbage and tomatoes and cook for another minute. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about an hour.
- Off heat, you can either pour the soup into a blender in batches or use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Add the vinegar and salt to taste.
- Delicious served with yogurt and some cheese, or fabulous on its own as well!